Monday, May 23, 2011

When The 17-Day Diet Fails

One of the most popular marketing niches in publishing and blogging is health and fitness. That's because so many of us want to be “untied” or free from the control of food.Featuring a review on a successful plan like “The 17-Day Diet” doesn’t hurt reader interest either, particularly because the plan works.

I’ve had tremendous success and use the principles to maintain my weight, including weekly weigh-ins for reality checks. But if our weight is the only thing we measure, this plan fails.

Judges 2 tells us that the people of Israel had a heart problem. They worshiped other gods. As a result of their sin, God did not give them victory in battle when the other nations ransacked their land. Israel cried out in despair, not because their sins had offended God but because they were suffering from the consequences of their sin. God took pity on them and sent them a godly ruler or a judge who led them to victory in battle against their enemies. But when the judge died, the people rebelled and behaved even worse than they had before. That’s because they were seeking relief from consequences and not God Himself. 

For those of us who are believers, our weight loss motivations should be connected to loving others. One friend of mine was concerned that being overweight communicated messages of selfish overindulgence to the women around her. In my women’s class, I certainly felt like a hypocrite teaching about being more than a conqueror when I wasn’t able to conquer a bag of Doritos. But if I’m going to be honest with myself and you, there were other motivations for conquering my carb addiction. I was more remorseful about the consequences of tight pants and not measuring up to man's standards than I was concerned about how my behavior offended God.

It was also much easier to use the 17 Day Diet to end the gluttonous behavior than to confess why I was a glutton in the first place. The fact is my overeating was a faithless act. Overeating was a statement to the world that, for me, God is not enough. 

When I’m at dinner and unable to savor what I have on my plate because I eat too fast, it’s because I receive food as if it’s my right to consume it, rather than a gift from my Heavenly Father to enjoy and savor. When I’m stressed out and unthinkingly popping snack food in my mouth for immediate relief, it’s because I don’t remember and behave as if God is my portion in times of hardship. When I’m at a gathering and have one more glass of wine because everyone else is, it’s because I don’t believe that being controlled by His Spirit is better than anything else. This is what makes me physically heavy and spiritually shallow. 

The 17 Day Diet is a great plan that has brought some tremendous success to me and the people I love. But what makes it just like all the rest is that it offers no help when I place more emphasis on the condition of my waist-line than I do on what my waist line says about the condition of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy.... This post made me cry.... I've felt such agony at my own loss of self-control, at my inability to think and contemplate as I eat, at my stagnant spirit that is connected to my body. I want to eat enough to keep body and soul together...but I end up over indulging and mindlessly consuming.... sigh.... You've touched on important elements--- spiritual dieting... and you've given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete